FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Lewiston, Maine (September 9, 2014) –New England Fights (NEF), America's number-one regional fight promotion, will present its inaugural boxing event on October 11, 2014 at the historic Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine. It will be the first professional boxing event in Lewiston in more than ten years and the first in the building, famous for the Muhammad Ali-Sonny Liston World Heavyweight Title rematch of May 1965, in close to twenty years. On that night, Portland, Maine native, and Portland Boxing Club member, John "Rumble" Webster will make his return to the ring after a decade-long absence. Webster holds an impressive professional boxing record of 8-6-1 with six of his wins coming by way of knockout.
At 46 years old the night of the fight, Webster will be, by far, the most-senior athlete competing on the card. In the same vein, Webster is the only fighter on the card to have previously boxed professionally at the Colisee. His sole prior encounter in the building, then known as the "Central Maine Civic Center," occurred in 1995 in a nationally-televised bout on ESPN that saw the super middleweight go to a draw with Chris Walsh.
"I remember it very well," said a reminiscent Webster. "I took the fight on seven-days notice, and Walsh was an up and coming fighter who had been a Philadelphia Golden Gloves Champion. I felt I won three out of four rounds and should have got the decision. ESPN commentators Dave Bontempo and Al Bernstein also had me winning the fight, but it is what it is. Now I'll have an opportunity to finally get a win in that building October 11th."
Amassing an amateur boxing record of 25-4, and winning not one but two New England Golden Gloves championships in the process, Webster made his professional boxing debut in 1992 on the undercard of a Joey Gamache-Tommy Hanks bout at the Portland Expo Center. Webster's last fight would come twelve years later at the Multi-Purpose Center in Lewiston. Coincidentally, that September 2004 event was also the last professional boxing card held in Lewiston prior to the sport losing regulation in Maine shortly thereafter. With boxing finally back in his home state, Webster realizes this may be his final run in the sport he loves, a sport that has taken him across the world and back to where he started.
"I need to win this fight," Webster declared. "I watched some NEF MMA fights at the Colisee Saturday night and saw some great knockouts. It reminded me that this is serious business. I am taking this very, very seriously. If I don't, I could be on the receiving end of one of those knockouts... and I don't want that. I'm grateful to NEF for the opportunity to fight on this card. My last fight was almost ten years ago in Lewiston and I got tackled through the ropes in a fight I was winning, and it got ruled a no contest. I don't want to go out like that. My father passed away at age 45, so I'll get to do something at an age he never got to be. I think about that when I realize I'm going to fight at age 46."
Webster now spends his days working in masonry as a union bricklayer. It is hard work, but it has kept Webster in fighting shape during his time away from the ring. He fully expects his fellow members of the Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen Local 3 to come out en mass to support him in his return fight on October 11th.
"Being a mason helps keep me in shape. I'm up every morning laying bricks and it's rugged work. All my buddies at work are coming. They've been hearing me talk about boxing for five or six years and how I'm going to have a comeback fight. Now is my chance."
NEF's next event "NEF BOXING" takes place on October 11, 2014 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine. The fight card will feature rising star Brandon "The Cannon" Berry (6-0), as well as Stevie Gamache (4-0), the son of former World Champion Joey Gamache. Tickets for "NEF BOXING" start at just $25 and are on sale now at www.TheColisee.com or by calling the Colisee box office at207.783.2009 x 525. For more information on both events and fight card updates, please visit the promotion’s website at www.NewEnglandFights.com. In addition, you can watch NEF fight videos at www.youtube.com/NEFMMA, follow them on Twitter @nefights and join the official Facebook group “New England Fights.”
About New England Fights
New England Fights (“NEF”) is a fight events promotions company. NEF’s mission is to create the highest quality events for Maine’s fighters and fans alike. NEF’s executive team has extensive experience in combat sports management, events production, media relations, marketing, legal and advertising.
No comments:
Post a Comment